Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Strange Affinity

It has been almost 2 weeks since our return from the break. And yet, I cannot shake this strange affinity of the city that I spent only 2 nights in.

And yesterday it dawned on me ~ why it is called the City of Romance.

Perhaps because as a city herself, she had seen one sorrow too many - from the French Revolution to the World Wars. Or maybe it is because so many great names - in literature and arts - had grown and blossomed in her embrace.

Her synonym as the City of Romance, to me is mis-guided by one and almost all. For it is not the love that you have for another, but rather the love for life and living.

So while I feel like I have wasted somewhat precious moments of our trip, in a way, it was a learning curve. And it took a whole city to teach me that.

Life is too short to want to do everything and anything. And while to have everything in life structured and planned out to a T is also bad: at the end of the day, it's all about balance in the present.

Someday we'll be back there. And this time, we'll sit in the park and talk like we always do.

Then we can really say "We had Paris at our feet!"

No comments: