Monday, May 9, 2011

A Time for Solidarity

We belong in the generation of nuclear families. Yet, there comes a time when solidarity calls and your family's strength expands and extends.

My aunt, the wife of my father's 3rd brother, passed on this evening. I am glad that I managed to go say my thank you and goodbye. It wasn't very much, compared to all that her family and her has done for ours in our time of need(s). But nonetheless, we do what we can.

While my cousin brother and my uncle seemed to had reconcile themselves to the fact that she would be leaving them soon, I know that grief is a strange lil bugger. It whips you upside down when you lest expect it.

I do not profess to be a grief guru - how many people have I had to bury in my lifetime? But, I would like to think that just being there, being an extra pair of hands, an extra voice in prayer and an extra shoulder to rest one's head on - these are not things you need much experience of.

We are going to go home. As tired as our bodies are tonight, we are going to rest and we are going to go home. And anyone who says otherwise, who tells me - leave it for another day - I will personally buy them a bus ticket and they can take the bus.

The family needs us. And so we will go.

No comments: