Friday, February 1, 2013

You Came

My dad has severe abdominal pains late last night. It must have been bad cos he would always put off having to intrude / disturb me until he really has to. And so, at 15 mins to 11 pm, I get a call, asking if I could go home to take him to the hospital.

As Mum and I sat waiting in the ER way past midnight, for his number to be called, my phone beeped a text saying "Give me 10 minutes". Now you have to remember that for a person who lives daily without any hope in Hope, that is not something you say to said person.

But true to the text, in strolled a face I would never in a thousand years expect to see, on his own accord, walking in the doors of the hospital, with a bag of food and drinks for Mum and I.

And so it has to be said here (cos I would likely never have the guts to say it out-loud):

You came. On your own. When I lest expected it. And you stayed till we knew Dad was going to be fine, even though it would mean you would only have 4 hours of sleep before you had to go to work.

And introduced yourself to my folks, after 5 long years of saying no you would never met them. And you didn't hold yourself back when we spoke to the doctors and all that.

Part of me want to run for the hills cos it has been so long since someone stepped up and showed me I could lean on them when I needed to. Part of me is scared shitless. Part of me is wondering what happened that made you change your mind.

But you came. And that is what matters.

No comments: