Monday, February 22, 2010

Focus


en·vi·ron·ment ~ noun

 

  • The aggregate of surrounding things, conditions, or influences; surroundings; milieu.
  • The air, water, minerals, organisms and all other external factors surrounding and affecting a given organism at any time (Ecology)
  • The social and cultural forces that shape the life of a person or a population.
One of my ex-colleagues got married over the weekend. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend due to this cold I'm having ~ wouldn't have been nice to be the cause of why half her guest list fell ill soon after she got married. She was my Admin Assistant from 2 years ago. Didn't work long for me, but till this day, I can remember her honesty at her interview, the reasons why we picked her out of 200+ candidates and why we hugged and cried together on my last day at work at that place.

Perhaps I am a sentimental fool, wanting to bring back the fond past, imprint it into the present.

Perhaps I am an idealist, believing in work culture that is now hard-pressed to find.

Whatever it is the environment that I am in, I can no longer run with it. The air has become so hard to breathe; to say I’m being asphyxiated by it would be an understatement. Yet, it is not a state that is 100% within my control.

It is frustrating. It is demoralising. It is dilapidating.

But I must push on. Bear in mind that it is transitory. That soon, all these will go away. I must remember all these cos one day, it will be in my hands to shape the environment and culture that I believe to be nurturing (with the right persons) and mutually (to both the people and company) beneficial.

As my favourite author says: We need to create a new revolution, and to do that, don’t waste your life: stop pleasing people, and become who you always wanted to be.



No comments: