Sunday, February 14, 2010

Good Ole Days

It's the first day of the lunar new year and it has been a non-stop day at my grandma's house.

What fascinates me is this: Grandma is now well into her nineties, wheel-chair bound. But it doesn't stop people who are my relatives from coming by, in whatever stage of their golden years, and paying their respect and new year wishes to her.

For the better part of the day, the household has been kept busy as distant uncles, thrice-removed cousins and even the neighbours come through our gate, bearing gifts of mandarin oranges and red packets of money gifts, to see grandma.

And I am fascinated simply cos it is a tradition that is almost dead. I have yet to personally wish any of my friends, and vice versa. Ask me if I'm doing any visiting - my reply would be a simple - Who is there to visit?

The good ole days where weeks before the lunar new year starts, these sames relations would come bearing baskets of food and all, have come and gone. It would be something that my children would not understand nor appreciate.

I supppose, this pang of melancholy is enough to make me reflect, if perhaps, it might be something I might want to introduce into their lives. Would it be enough to bring back the good ole days?

No comments: