Monday, August 8, 2011

The End of an Era

I had a big pow-wow with Mandy over the weekend.

Even writing that line was hard as I couldn't write "BFF" anymore. And it makes me think - the acronym is just an acronym. It went out the window as fast as acronyms are created.

I am 36 this year. And that would mean that I have known her for over 16 years. It sure didn't take long to dissolve something that many years took to build. But then again, we wouldn't exactly be lying if we didn't admit that it has been brewing and fermenting for the longest time.

I have realised that a friendship is just the same as any relationship - it takes a lot of work to keep it going and to keep its shape intact, especially as we grow and change. Perhaps I forgot that cardinal rule in this instance, choosing to ignore that even between friends, sheets must sometimes be aired before the stink sets in so hard, no matter how many times you wash it, you will never be able to get the musk out.

16 years - come hell or high water, we have always been there for each other. And yes, she was always in my corner, waving my flag for me. Have I come to think that I have 'arrived' at a point in my life that I can do without this staunch supporter? Alas, I have not. Cos who else knows more about me in my circle of friends than her?

Yet, it was a point and a decision that I had come to reach. And despite what another friend Dzul tried to remind me, it was a painful decision to take. My colleague Sam just told me that perhaps I too have changed. And maybe that it is. I realised that we have both branched out in different directions of life - so far apart that the chasm seems too wide to cross.

These are all decisions that I have taken on my own. In all fairness, she has not had her say. And I cannot apologise enough for breaking her heart the way I did.

But that era has come to an end. And I'm sorry it ended the way it did. I can only wish her well and that all she has her heart's desires set upon, she will be blessed by them.

No comments: