Thursday, April 30, 2009

Writing and Living

Interesting enough, HBO is showing a movie called "The Jane Austen Book Club" ~ a tale of a group of women, reading JA's books and realise that the line between fiction in writing, and in life, is so thin, it's mostly blurred.

This point is ringing rather clearly right now as I have just finished reading "Double Fault" by Lionel Shriver, which is a story about a young couple, pro-tennis players and their marriage. Not really up my alley, yet so much of the conversational text urges out dust-bunnies buried under tonnes of rubble.

It was an easy read - 300-something pages done in two nights, simply cos I could understand why Willy (the female lead) could get so stuck in her rut of self-destruction using deadly poisonous language (words chosen and presented in tones precisely meant to stab like a steak knife through the heart), and Eric (her book husband) eventually wore down in defeat.

While I am not an expert in the female psyche, I can say for sure this: Once an idea is rooted in our minds, there it'll stay.

Which is why we don't do the things we used to do anymore: like ask questions, verify information, ring up hotels to cross-check the alibi, or pick up the phone and call.

Cos there is simply no purpose in it: it wouldn't set things any more right than it is already wrong. And again said ~ once an idea is rooted in, there it'll stay.

As I said before ~ I have my own conclusions and my own reviews. And I'd rather be proven wrong (like buying this book!) than be proven right.

No comments: