Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dad's Wisdom

I rarely get an occasion to sit down and have a talk with my dad. Perhaps it's cos as time passes, he spends more time in prayer, deep thought and service to others and being a full-time grandpa getting up at 6 a.m. - napping.


Today, since I haven't been home much these past 2 weeks, I decided to take the evening school run drive with him and then to the optician so he could get his glasses fixed. On the drive, we spoke about work, the progress that has been made and the bright future that awaits yonder in the horizon. 



As I took the driver's seat to move the car in the mad streets of Taipan, I realised just how badly we needed this bright future. His junk of a Volvo is literally held together with all sorts of tape, glue and stitches. As I sunk my butt into his seat, it.literally.sank. 


I wish time could go faster so that this future would materialise sooner. But I know that is not going to be the case. And I can continue to frustrate myself with the passing of days, it is not going to change anything. If anything, it would only make life harder to live.



"Be patient," dad advised. "It is nothing but a timeline that you're living out."



Yes, I must remember that each time I have to swallow hard. My dad may not be very much in stature and material wealth, but he is full of wisdom.


No comments: