Saturday, January 16, 2010

Turn of a Dime

It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting at my desk, in my cubby-hole in the sky, listening to the kids argue about what cartoon they want to watch.

It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting at my desk, knowing I must spend the next few hours, plowing through a pile of reports sent through by Enterprise Ireland, building my case why the business funding can be cut, but not at the levels I have read.


It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting at my desk, trying very hard not to remember that some 10,888 miles away, people are suffering at a depth that I have found so hard to comprehend.


Our generation are no strangers to news of natural disasters, heart-breaking calamities. The first thing most of us do when we wake up in the morning (if we have the luxury of time) is to turn on the global news network and our computer, to see what's happened in the world while we slept soundly in our beds.


When the Tsumnami struck in the Asian region years ago, many of us stayed glued to our tellys, watching re-runs of people getting swept away, home-movie makers screaming as they filmed these moments of life OR death, joining queues of people packing aid items much needed.


I'd be very honest with you and admit that prior to the last week, Haiti was a blur thing in my knowledge vault. It still is. All I know about it is what I have read on CNN, BBC and Wikipedia. We have poor countries here in our region as well. Philippines, India, China and its shanty towns. So really, Haiti would be no different.


Yet it is. It feels vastly different to me.


And while I know I should not question why God has allowed such a stroke of pain to befall an already sad country and her people, I find myself nonetheless asking "Where is God is all this?"


As I read the blogs of individuals who have chosen to dedicate some part of their lives and skills to the people of Haiti, even before the earthquake struck, I am hoping I'd find the answer to my question (before I march up to my parish priest tomorrow morning, that is and ask him in his face). As it is, it is a strange sensation - as a blogger - to read of a seemingly normal life in a foreign country, and to have days of silence in between and a fresh posting telling of the destruction and loss. But I will continue to plow through these silent thoughts of these individuals, feeling the pain in the words they have chosen.


Perhaps through it all, I will find some sense in this madness. Sense that will ease my ever-growing feeling of helplessness and selfishness. And hopefully, my faith will be restored and be used for the glory of the Almighty.


As one blogger's moment of irony says:
Avec Jesus Tout Va Bienwith Jesus everything is going to be alright.



At the end of the day, when we can do nothing more or nothing at all, perhaps the best thing we have left are the very words of our Lord ~ Into Your Hands, I commend my spirit.


Follow the situation as they unfold from those who had chosen to devote their lives in a way you and I can never do:



Life can change at the turn of a dime. Let us do well to remember that.







No comments: