Monday, November 9, 2009

Hands - Yours

I have been wanting to write about Rihanna's coming out about that fateful night in February when even the rich, famous and gorgeous is not spared the woes of the common woman. In particular, the common woman in most countries where what goes on in the house does not see the light of day.


I recall thinking as I read the article(s) of how sad this young lady's life is - that she had to firstly make the decision of leaving the one she loved cos it was just not right, and secondly coming out in public to declare her stand because it was her 'duty' as a role-model of sorts for people around the world.

Rihanna admits to being embarrassed ~ that she was capable (or perhaps a better choice of words would be gullible) of falling in love with someone of that nature. And I thought to myself - it could be any nature or character flaw for that matter - abusive, drunkenness, weakness for gambling, cheating without a qualm - this would have to be the most painful part of the whole experience.

I guess I can finally sit down and write out my thoughts on this simply because I have just heard this evening of how a lady, twice Rihanna's age, is in a relationship conundrum. And I dare to bet my last dollar on which choice she would make. 

Whilst I shake my head over her predicament, I cannot share my sympathies on how her life turns out from here on out. Of course, you can argue that a decision in such circumstance is never an easy one to make. You try to imagine life on both sides - with and without. But I know for a fact, that despite all that is said and how most of the odds are stacked against her, for the moment while she is standing at this cross-road, her life, her future lies in no one's hands but her own. 

As the Dixie Chicks say in their song You were Mine:

I can't find a reason to let go
Even though you've found a new love
And she's what your dreams are made of
I can find a reason to hang on ~
What went wrong can be forgiven
Without you, it ain't worth livin' alone

Perhaps for some, the vision of
being without is slightly easier to bear - if they know that they would not be alone through it all. But I acknowledge that not everybody is as blessed as I was, to be supported in the manner that I was supported.

And what Rihanna says about being finally able to think back on that night - applies to everyone, rich or poor, black, white or yellow. Sure - you'd feel as if there is nothing left in you that is going to enable you to go on if you choose to walk away.

But if you take a brief moment to reflect on your hands - be they covering your body to shield you from the blows, or be they wrapped tightly around your own self in a metaphoric way of keeping the broken heart from falling out - try to always remember this: they are YOUR hands. What you do with them - no one can make that action but you, yourself.

And whichever way you turn that steering wheel, it may not be much of a consolation.. but hey - 

It won't rain all the time.
The sky won't fall forever.
And though the night seems long,
your tears won't fall forever.




No comments: