Saturday, July 11, 2009

Clean & Cleared

So yeah, it's now been 48 hours and no, the phone has not rung from the hospital to say I have to go back. So technically I have the all clear.

"Thank God!" said bff Mandy when she rang for an update this evening. And that was the most magical words said to me the whole of the last 2 days. For a brief moment, I felt that my existence in every day life did indeed matter - even if it was to just one person. That there was at least ONE person out there who was grateful and glad that I did not have to be further quarantined and is at no risk to everyone around me (as if there is a long queue for that right now!)

While driving back from my folks' place (where I had to leave my kids' stuff outside the front door and not inside, lest I contaminate the house), I couldn't help but reflect that our society does not condition us well to be loners. Sure we see lots of them out there with their kung-po-kai-fun and Chinese tea ice for dinner and the evening papers. But really, we're not structured to face days on end by ourselves. Or maybe it's just me.

Having just spent 2 weeks in Ireland by myself and coming home to this (this meaning being placed under home quarantine), I am shrivelling up like a grape forgotten at the back of the chiller cabinet. Add to all this, ultimatums that make me feel about as good as someone who has leprosy .. sighing is all I can do.

Perhaps I should sell my car so I have the funds to go get the crooked bone in my nose fixed. That way I won't be subsceptible to sinusitus. And my nose won't clog up at will when the pollen or dust count goes up a bit in the air. And the endless snifflings would stop. Then people won't look at me in this climate of virus scare and go all crazy around me or ask me to wear a face mask when there's nothing contagious about me.

I've been given a clean bill of health by the powers that be at the hospital. If only that bill would stretch to wiping out the stigma of being "suspected"!

No comments: