Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Water Under The Whatever

A couple of days upon arriving in Ireland, about 3 weeks ago, I received an urgent email from my colleague. Apparently the channels of communication got screwed up and she had to face down an irate customer. Which led to me sitting in the cold, at 5.30 am, dressed in my jammies and my overcoat, puffing away one ciggie after the other, trying to make sense of the situation and salvage what I could.

After doing whatever damage control that could be done from thousands of miles away, I ranted my guts out, over many ciggies yet again and for the rest of the trip, I was still pondering on the closing question: Am I gonna let a couple kids leave a bitter taste in my throat for something I love doing?

In the past, this exchange would have left me not wanting to come face to face with said customer again. But I think over time (and many a bawling session at PCMC later), I have learnt that sometimes, it's part of the job to be the one who says - Okay, bad move on both end, but let's move on.

And so, with that in mind, today, customer and confused teen sat down with me as I verbally walked them thru the town which teen would call home for the next 5 years. And it was a great way to turnaround a possible situation that could have haunted me for the better part of this career.

Like it's always said in my fave tv series - Ah, it's water under the whatever!


No comments: