Friday, July 10, 2009

What A Joke

I have been nursing this nasty head cold prior to my return from Ireland on Monday.

I suppose going from an average of 18 degrees to 30-something degrees in a span of 24 hours did not help. I also suppose that pushing an entire 24 hours without sleep (my own remedy of countering jet-lag) would have maxed me out and bring on a nasty headache when I woke up yesterday. Last but not least, I suppose the pigging out on spicy food as a make-up of 12 days without chili did not also aid my fragile internal system.

Little did I think that all those "insignificant" actions of mine would result in my system completely turning on me today so that I am also having a slightly higher body temperature and the onset of a sore throat.

Now to really bring home the insignificance of my actions - the "repercussions" apparently mirrors the syptoms of *drum roll* H1N1! Which meant that when I finally ran out of my lil strips of Boots Max Strength Cold & Flu tablets (which, mind you, were EUR 0.70 a pop at 4 pops a day for the last 7 days), the doctor at the clinic would turn me away and send me to the nearest hospital.

So here I am, sitting in my work clothes still, scratching my head and counting down the next 48 hours.

If the phone rings with a certain PJ-area number within this time, I'll be packing my bags for a free stay at Sg. Buloh 'resort' and expecting a big whalloping from:

1) The hundreds of passengers on the return flight to KL from London (especially the dudes who were part of the Lord Mayor of London's entourage and who had spent yesterday with a bunch of head hunchos from Bank Negara!!!)

2) My best mate Mandy cos I'm the leader of the pack to rag her husband on their wedding day next week

3) My brother cos that would mean his whole family (and mine!!) would have to done the mask and stay home or have their throats swabbed

4) My boss cos I have put our lil Sam at risk by going back to work today and also not loading up on supplements and vitamins prior and during my travels,

and

5) Ben cos he told me to get myself some face masks and not catch the virus while on my travels.

So yeah, I'm ending up 7 days later:
  • About RM 98 out of pocket from those lil Boots tablets,
  • Stuck at home for the next 2 days without any human being for company - I was so looking forward to spending the weekend with my doh-doh and lukey boy! AND
  • Without food other than bread (that's been in the fridge for the last month), eggs (that's also been around the same amount of time), some pasta sauce (which dates to about the same time as well) and instant noodles.
This is such a joke. I should have saved myself all that trouble and some RM 93 (the hospital bill was only RM 5 with an armload of meds!) and 3 kicks less in the butt.

Please God let that swab be negative!


No comments: