Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hobbles Hobbies

An old friend made a very mind-triggering comment yesterday. "I hate days off," he said as he dug into his 2nd plate of pasta. "Now that I run my own business, every holiday, day off is costing me money!"

If you look around you, there are about two schools of individuals - those who have no one watching in their clock in, yet show up as any other person working on the clock, and there are those who stroll in as and when they like, without regard for the concept of time-and-money.

On the drive in to work, I was thinking about this and how it boiled down to 'ownership' and 'accountability'. But my cousin Paul has given me a slightly different perspective to it, which I think is more accurate. And it goes like this:

"What distinguishes successful (sales) leaders is their commitment to the business. The business is our hobby. Everything we do is for the business or to build knowledge around the business."

You're spot on mate - it is our hobby.

No comments: