Monday, August 10, 2009

17 Days and Counting

In 17 days I turn 34. So it's about time to take stock of the year past, and the stories todate. Perhaps merely in the last 350-something days, perhaps over the entire life span.

I have been looking at myself in the mirror a fair bit more off late. Not so much looking for wrinkles, crows feet, laughlines... but to really see if I am looking my age... or older.. or younger. While it may sound like flashes of vanity to the reader, it really is me, myself and I, seeking some form of visual assurance that I am where I am.

I had said a year ago, that this year of 33 would be about ME and I'm mighty glad to say that it has been all about ME ~ finding me, knowing me and letting me grow. Selfish as it may sound, in the process of all that, it has also been alot about YOU (whoever you may be) and I think that is the single factor that enables me to shed my bags of spuds and move on.

And since we have moved away from the starting block, embarked well and truly on this road we call LIFE, I have decided to take stock of the things I need to do in the year (and years to come).

So my simple goals in life, starting now would be:

1) Get a griddle pan ~ I have been talking and thinking about it for the longest time, making do with my lil electric oven (which isn't mine to begin with!) and creating pseudo-grilled items. Each time I head on over to Ikea, I would pick one up, give it a twirl to check its balance, give it a swing to test its weight and give it a tap to check that it is cast iron. Having done all that, I would do a quick mental calculation and find that for that RM 90, I could get a whole load of other stuff that I have also been putting off. And so the pan goes back onto the shelf ... until the next trip. So yes, I shall get myself that griddle pan the next time I go to Ikea. For if I wanna set my sights on the Kenwood Snackpro, I should at least start at the bottom with this pan.

2) Give my car a wash once a week ~ Either I get myself a bucket, a sponge and some liquid soap or I'll have to cut back on the fags so that I can drop it off to the shop for a whizz about. It may not be a fancy-smancy car, but hey, it's mine at the end of the day, so I really ought to take better care of it.

3) Clean my windows ~ The funny thing about windows is this: You don't really look out of them much. I mean, mine's always open so the smudges and dirt stains from the rain almost always escapes me. But I should not leave them as they are until it's about time for the folks to come round for Easter dinner. There may be a day when I want to look out of clear panes when the rain is falling outside. So yes - clean my windows, more than once a year.

4) Re-start a facial regime ~ This is a severely nasty habit of mine - get loads of products, stack them on the shelf, diligently use them for like 2 months, then slowly drop off the edge of that beauty hill. While I may be able to get away with shaving the years ago with a simple hair cut, there will come a time when I'm gonna wake up like the witches in Stardust. Rather than search for the heart of a fallen star, I think I'll look no further than my toiletry cabinet.

5) Change the living room furniture ~ No offence to KW and Jen who so kindly donated their sofa set to me some 4 years ago when I had only 3 pieces of RM 20 foam mattresses to my name. But it really is time to get that part of the house changed. And it won't be a wasted change guys - the set is moving on to another household who doesn't have one currently. So see - it goes back in the cycle as it was intended to.

6) Book project ~ Last but not least, by this time next year, I must have this kicked off in some fashion - even if it's just a document sitting in the hard drive of my own computer. What's it gonna be about? We'll see.. I'm sure it'll come to me one fine day.. soon-ish!

My ex-boss Martin used to say: No less than 6 and no more than 8. And cos he's one of the most respected persons in my life, I shall continue to heed his advice and stick to 6.

If I really wanna stretch myself, I suppose I could always add on:

7) Work towards getting that new mobile phone, and

8) Discipline my reading to a mere hour a day.

And yes - those two would be a stretch!

By the way - volunteers for items (2) and (3) are most welcomed, and you know I won't be so rude as to not say "thank you" if items (1), (5) and (7) were placed outside the front door with a nice big red bow around it as well!

No comments: