Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Golden Years

I have often pondered, the wisdom of taking an "early retirement" especially in our country, where they shake your hand and send you off packing from the work desk at age 55 - which I think is a prime age.

Yesterday I had a quick chat with an Irish colleague who is reaching his retirement age of 65 later this year. An esteemed professor who exudes an air of long-forgotten nobility and gentlemanliness, I had somehow imagined his plans including a lot of travel and gardening.

But John is not going to be doing anything of that sort. He is in fact going to immortalise his illustrious teaching career by publishing a text book. And I am so blown away.

Cos for most of us, when we think retirement, we think of not having the responsibility of being obligated to deliver anything anymore.

Yet, here is this man, who is going to spend his golden years, delivering (in my opinion) the biggest obligation of his life.

*Double Wow* indeed!

 

No comments: