Monday, March 8, 2010

GAP Kids

It was a marathon DVD Sunday night. And again I am reminded that if one's mind is somewhat clear, there are lessons or reminders waiting to be picked up at every which corner you turn. 

The one that stuck clear in my head was a line from the new Robin Williams - John Travolta movie called OLD DOGS. In which the lady said:
For 7 years, my son had never seen the inside of the men's room cos I am the only one around to take him to the bathroom.

The same thing happened to me on Saturday evening as the kids and I sought shelter from the rain in a shopping mall. Luke needed to go and off he went. Except that he exited the men's room in under 10 seconds. Cos there was no one else in there. That to a 7 year old kid is pretty creepy. So I had to cover his eyes and off to the ladies we went.


It was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, especially since that morning I had just witnessed a scene I have not seen in a long while for my kids ~ they had spent the morning playing football with their uncle. They wrapped up the session, got into the car and declared it was the "best day ever!" simply cos they got to do the outdoor thing.



So while I had plenty of laughs from the comedies last night, it also reiterated that in an ideal world (i.e. such as the movie world) it is always to the advantage of the child to have a complete set of parents. 

I can try to do many things for them, to make up for whatever I think is lacking simply cos they do not have a daddy in their lives. But as they grow up, I am increasingly challenged on how to cover these gaps. And these gaps will remain.

No comments: