Wednesday, October 8, 2008

As We Know It

change ~ verb (used with object)

  1. To make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone
  2. To transform or convert (usually fol. by into)
  3. To substitute another or others for; exchange for something else, usually of the same kind
  4. To give and take reciprocally; interchange
  5. To transfer from one (conveyance) to another

Call it what you like, but there is a change in the air around us. The world as we know it, is changing, be it in big, bold, life-changing strikes or subtle nuiances that could escape the naked eye if unobserved.

Nobody likes change. I, especially abhor it. If I can, I would choose to live in a vacuum with no one but those who are important and the essential things to get me by. And while I have strived to build my world as tightly insulated as possible, I too am beginning to feel the effects of the falling dominoes in my wee lil world.

While I write this posting, I have four other windows open on my screen (sadly, I do not have the luxury of having 4 computer screens as a telly on my desk!):

  1. The 1st is the live US Presidential Debate that's on-going ~ everyone loves a good cat-fight and this one is no exception. As McCain said - It's gloves off! So bring it on dudes! Pity tho neither of the candidates have a head full of hair for full appreciation of hair-pulling.
  2. The 2nd is MalaysiaKini to watch for the latest decision by our PM if he is going to continue this headless-chicken-in-a-coop thingymajig he's got going ~ Let's face it this man went off the deep end of the pool, floudered badly and is still going "I'm alright. Don't need no floaties! *Bloop* *Bloop* *Bloop* Somebody just put the poor chapie out of his misery so he can enjoy married life once again!
  3. The 3rd on Bloomberg ~ The screens have gone from Wall St Crisis to America's Crisis to World Economy Crisis. As Bernard Lo said this morning ~ he's gone on a two-week vacation only to come back into a black hole. Yeah - I've missed you too Bernie!
  4. The last one on my email inbox, waiting to see if my best buddy is going to cave and send some long email for me to ponder on until we meet for dinner later today.

I do not have direct vested interest in any of these screens. Yet, the outcome of each would bring about some sort of shift in my life.

-> I do not want to worry about changing geographical boundaries, policies and direction that the Land of the Free becomes too much of a radical.

-> I do not want to worry about having to stock up on food in case the streets gets too clogged with unhappy persons wielding weapons against the men in blue.

-> I do not want to worry about how much more I have to cut back today so that tomorrow Lydia and Luke would have enough funds to study where they want, and what they want.

-> I do not want to worry that in the middle of the night, I'm gonna get a text saying "I'm being shipped off tomorrow cos it's just gotten too bad on the scene."

-> I do not want to worry that I would one day find my best buddy evolving to a level where I can no longer anticipate what he says and think.

Frankly, I am so worned out by these shifting sands. I wish everything would bottom out once and for all so we know well and truly, where it IS that we stand and what sort of foundations that we have to depend on.

Even then, Life as we know it, would never be the same again.

No comments: