Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hush Lil Baby

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's going to buy you a mockingbird.
And if that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's going to buy you a diamond ring.

I visited with Mandy and her baby recently. Lil fella has grown a fair bit since I saw him aged Day 2. For the first time in many years, I held a newborn baby in my arms. While I was doing the crazy-Aunt-Barb talk to him, I thought to myself: What is it going to take for me to ever wanna come back to this place.

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's going to buy you a looking glass.
And if that looking glass gets broke,
Mama's going to buy you a billy goat.

It was a pretty strange, yet not foreign thought. Garlic has asked me numerous times - is it something that I would consider doing again, especially with L&L old enough to do their own thing as it is. Diaper bags, baby prams, interrupted sleep??? ... yeah - I must be crazy!

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Mama's going to buy you a cart and bull.
And if that cart and bull turn over,
Mama's going to buy you a dog named Rover.

But I think at the end of the day, it's not really up to me to decide ~ if I wanna be doing the whole pacifier-rattle-nappy scene. Afterall, even with advanced bio-technology, it still doesn't guarantee you'd get what you want. So while I may say "No-Way Jose" now, and there chance upon a time when I change my mind, I might not be given what I want then either.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark,
Mama's going to buy you a horse and cart.
And if that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town

Kids: one of those things in life that you wouldn't know what you're missing out on, until you're actually missing them!


Which is probably why, we should remember to treat each one of them as a special gift with a tag that bears your name.

No comments: