Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Big Bad "P" Word!

"Argh!" I ranted before stepping out for a fag-break."I have no patience for THIS!" 

pa⋅tience ~ noun
  1. An ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay
  2. Quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care
  3. The quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
One of the things I am very bad at is sitting still, not being able to do anything to move forward. And right now, with sales closure time, it is truly a battle of internal strength.

"Hang in there you... those sales will come. You have a plan don't you? Just follow thru - it'll work," said Ben yesterday when I ranted bout how slowly things were moving. I have 2 closure deadlines this week and I have been like your neighbourhood insurance sales guy - ringing up the kids, asking if they have any questions, doubts, qualms about picking us as their choice, and of course, if they have made up their minds. That being THE PLAN and following through with it. 

But I guess here is where I went wrong with my Plan ~ I didn't quite factor in the time bit i.e. how slow the process takes and how 3 weeks per cycle is far too long for my taste. Sure they have until tomorrow to decide, but hey - something like this, you're either coming or you're not. And so, I have no idea as to why if they have decided that they are not coming, why are they still hanging on to their seat, not willing to let it go so that someone else may have a chance.

As I told my colleague, I want it that by the time I get on that plane next month, I would be able to report to my colleagues that we have passed last year's mark and it's only June with 2 full months to go. Perhaps I'm throwing a shoulder load of arrogance around with that thought. But seriously, technically, it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve what with 2 more response deadlines between now and then. 

*Sigh* I guess as it has been said before... this one job is really trying to teach this old dog something...Perhaps this old dog is being a tad bit stubborn... okay, and arrogant.

Someone said to me not too long ago ~ "That's what I'm here for - to teach you patience!" Okie dokie is what I'm saying now. Go on ~ infuse me with soul-calming lessons then. 

I have afterall, nothing but time on my hands these days.

No comments: