Sunday, May 17, 2009

Picking the Winner

Friday evening was a bit of an exhilarating night for me. Not only did I get to dress up in some traditional garb that I would never normally wear, I got to be surrounded by like minded people - book lovers!

Over a 10 course dinner at a hotel that has seen better days (and better chefs!), our small table of 6 traded stories of favourite authors, books read, bookshops to be explored and discovered, and of course, the reason why we were all gather there that evening.

After 3 months, the day had finally arrived to announce the winner of this year's IMPAC Young Writers' Award. And I was excited cos I was part of the process as a Shortlist Committee Member (recall the posts of Pink and the Best Things in Life). 

So imagine my jubilation when the winning essay turned out to be the one I had picked from my pile! I must say I was beaming more than the winner's Mum, going around smugly announcing - That's MY boy! 

But hey, you can't really blame me for taking a whole pound of pride in that win cos I went thru my task like a school teacher. So 70 pieces and 2 dried up red pens later, to know that my stringency had amount to something - do pardon me and my 5 minutes of leveraged glory.

No comments: