Monday, May 25, 2009

Equations

"Why do you feel the need to want to do this?" was the question asked when I 'announced' my intent to complete the Road to Santiago in summer 2010.

My reply to those I told has been "It is one of the most apt thing to do considering 2010 is a monumental year." But evidently this did not fly tonight. For some strange reason, the person asking the question felt that yes, it is a monumental year but it was not reason enough to wanna go walk some 100+ km over a course of 1 week.

And he chose to follow up that question with this "What is the fundamental basis of you?" To which I could only say I am ME cos I really didn't want another slap on the wrist.

Oh sure, we've been asked many times before - Who are you? And most certainly have asked our own reflection - Who am I? And while we have listed many "I am...", the list would have either seem too definitive or too short, in some instances as well. Almost always, we would have ended up asking "Is this ALL that I am?"

And in those 3 simple words - it's really as simple as that. I am ME. And it doesn't matter if ME consisted of 3 things, or 300 things or even 3 million things - it is who I am and that itself suffices.

One of the things about this RtS that caught my attention was the comments from former pilgrimers that "you would discover answers you have been seeking" during this journey. And that, in truth, was the main reason why I thought I should go do something out of this world like this. And I have not had the guts to mention it here, or to anyone else spoken to about this subject, tho it has been hinted upon elsewhere.

And so, as I count that there is only another 5 hours before the alarm clock goes off to signal the start of another week, I also sit here and realise that I do not need to take a stroll thru north of Spain to discover who I am and why I am the way I am.

I am ME. 

Perhaps then, I should then do my stroll for the simple reason of enjoying the sights and live of another country, another continent. And not for anything else.


No comments: