Thursday, May 21, 2009

Laundry

As I shed my clothes to step into the shower after a long day, I couldn't help these thoughts that crept into my head. And it went something like this:

Tonight I envy you. 

Envy you for the fact that you do not likely have a full laundry basket staring at you in the face. Envy you for the fact that when your day ends, all your dirty clothes for the day goes into a bag and is hung by the door for the chambermaid to take it out in the morning. When you come back tomorrow night, the dirty would be cleaned and the crumpled would be starched and ironed out. All hung nicely in the wardrobe, waiting its turn in line for the day at the office.

Tonight I envy you. 

Envy you for the fact that it's almost 9 and you're probably still buried deep in boxes load of work. Documents that awaits your attention, your pen and its mighty slashes, scribbles and comments in margins. That if you do not respond to an email in your inbox, a part of the industry stops turning, people get stuck without direction and potentially someone could lose a huge amount of money.

Tonight I envy you. 

Envy you for the fact that you could eat whatever it is you want for your dinner, lunch and breakfast. Without having to worry about putting an ounce of fat or the needle on the weighing scale going up. That you could go on a cereal bar binge, loaded with triple-digit calorie counts, and know that the hours you had put in before in working out would not go to waste.

Tonight I envy you. 

Envy you for the passion you have for something other than work. For your passion in sports - your lil bouncy orange ball, the hop that suspends 8 feet off the ground, and the parameters that form a rectangle you call a court. That this passion burns so brightly in you, it's the first thing you would do when you have a moment to spare and a ball in sight.

Tonight I envy you. 

Envy you for having the means and ability to have owned and driven a very beautiful car. A car that I drive next to every morning on the way in to work on the highway. A car that purrs so seductively as it inches its way thru 9 am downtown traffic while the rest of us gurgle, spew and choke as the gears go from one to two and back to one. A car with lines running from the front, down the sides and straight across the back, so sweetly I caught myself thinking those lines were made to be admired and licked. Yes licked - don't ask me why but it beckoned one's tongue running across it for some strange reason!

Tonight I envy you. 

You, from all the people I know. For all the reasons above. But more importantly because you seem to think that I have absolutely no reason to be envious or doubtful or lacking in confidence. And because I'm reading a decidedbly depressing book of dreams dangled, dreams dashed, dreams burnt before they had the chance to get off the ground, I'm throwing caution to the wind in letting the guard down and actually being honest by saying:

Tonight I envy you. 

And for some psychopathic reason that I have yet to uncover (I still have some 100-odd pages to go and somewhere in there, the reason lies waiting), I thought you might find it funny to know that tonight, you're being envied by someone.

No comments: