Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cultivated Virtue

I walked into The Gardens (this hyper expensive mall in town) for the first time yesterday. It has been opened for coming to two years I think. And last week, I spent some time with Mandy in Pavillion (another ritzy place).

These are places I would never have dared even go near in the past cos it was just way too painful to know you couldn't even afford a cup of coffee in any of the outlets there, what more walk out with a filled designer shopping bag.

I have not come into any money. Nor have I snagged some rich expat as is the recommended course of remedy by Mandy. I have just become reconciled that being in the presence of luxury and the wealthy is be such a bad experience.

I need not dwell on the fact that once upon a time I could walk into any of those stores, zip it and walk out happily trotting a load of designer wear. I've had that experience so it's not something I've never tried. And so, utterly no reason or rhyme to feel any form of envy. Besides, it's not like I didn't have to end up paying for those purchases, and boy was it a painful affair!

And so, yes as with anyone else, it sure would be nice to have oodles of moolah to spend on anything that catches my fancy. But if I can't, it ain't gonna kill me either.

There would be more satisfaction to be derived from knowing I have worked hard at gaining something, than to have it fall into my lap. Which is why my classic Nikes is going to pay a visit to the cobbler, despite an offer of an early Christmas present. And also why I can wait till next year to grab that Sony Ericsson phone that I've set my sights on.

And you folks should be darn proud of this - not cos I'm living beyond my means, but because it means I have cultivated the virtue of patience :o)


No comments: