Friday, October 16, 2009

Do What You Must


The LegalBeagle asked me the other night over dinner "Do you mean to say that you're going to stick with this business for the next 10, 15 years?" and it blew me off-course a wee bit. The only other person who has thought that far about me and the Irish would be Monday, and even then, his line of thoughts were more on "Do you think either of the children would want to learn the ropes and take over from you in future?"

I've never really given it much thought - how long I'd go on doing this. I know that in all things, there would be a life span to this - the day I stop paying any attention to the customer's satisfaction is the day I should never go back through those doors. Can I see that happening? I honestly do not think so, no matter how bitter the pill gets sometimes.


And while there would be months and years where I know I would feel as if I've been handed a real dud, I still do not think that I would throw my hands up in the air and say - Here's your business, take it back.


There are different types of people in this world. Those who stay and fight. Those who stay and hide. Those who just plain run when the heat is on. And those who stay, wait, see and then decide on the best course of action.


This year and last, in all honesty, is really my first experience of "economic bad times." And there is much that have been learnt and to be learnt from it. I do know this though for a fact: 
At all times - good or bad, we do what we must and live with that decision.


Professionally - it means that if I have to push my counterparts till they throw their hands in the air and scream "Barbara go to bed.. NOW!", it's what I must do to get the sale locked in and closed, or get the job done.

Personally - it means that if I have to bury my head into my pillow and scream "
WTF?!", take a deep breath and then say "That's fine", it's what I must do to remain being the supportive person that I have committed to be.


Do what you must - it's the only way, at the best and worst of times.



No comments: