Friday, October 16, 2009

I Am...


When Black Eye Peas came in few weeks ago, I let that one go, with VVIP access tickets in hand. It was after all Arthur's Day and heck, I didn't think anyone else I knew would have wanted to be there (in the midst of the Irish having their fun and black brew). Turned out that I was wrong. Someone did want to go.

So in about a week's time, one of the biggest music star of our decade is heading to our shores. Can't really say I'm a big fan of Beyonce, but a concert, is a concert, is a concert. The city is abuzz with talk of almost nothing but it. But looking at the ticket prices and not knowing any contacts in Maxis, the only way we were not going to miss this was to win a pair of tickets through this Alter-Ego radio contest, which accounts for why you hear her latest hit Sweet Dreams when you ring me.

I have always been quite the great one at winning these sort of frivolous stuff. But seriously, after days of listening to the winning names, I didn't think "Barbsie Loaded" stood a chance, up against these hyper-creative twenty-somethings die-hard daisies!

So imagine my surprise, to get a call late last night, asking "What does Loaded mean?" Yes - I got em tix and it gave me such a thrill that I did not hesitate to pick up the phone and dial. Only to come smashing down to earth and the harsh realities of life in 2009.

I have always said I wished I had a greater ability to hold anger and rage ~ make it last longer. Perhaps it's age - mellows one down to nothing but putty. But in reflection, I think it's the lack of fuel - when allowed to stew, rage can really brew.

I have never really been one to come out and say what's bugging me. But I must say, over the last year or so, I have learnt and learnt the lesson well. It doesn't have to come out in words that's harsh and hard. And it doesn't carry with it any risk of a back-fire or a stormy argument. Plus, you don't lose any sleep over it.

It may not be a situation that I like. It may not even be a situation that I appreciate. But it is a situation that I can understand, and more importantly, believe. 

So while said person may have way too many oddities for the rest of us to comprehend, it must be said that he is good for one thing and I'm sure those who know me would agree ~ He knows how to diffuse a loaded situation and put it to rest permanently, which would be a first in a lifetime of explosive plenty. And he does it in a way that doesn't make me feel just that wee bit tall or wake up the next day wondering if I've once again had the wool pulled over my eyes.

There you are
Always strong when I need you
You let me give
And now I live, fearless and protected
After all is said and done

The concert may be a miss... but I don't need to be in the presence of Sasha Fierce to know who I AM ultimately.

LB - I hope the seats are good ones and person-who-cannot-be-called-the-Gword enjoys it!

No comments: