Wednesday, October 7, 2009

He Says, She Thinks

The radio station had an idiotic but interesting call in session yesterday morning. They were asking for the definition of "taking a break" between couples. One call that stuck in my head was this dude who said that "a break is asked for, though in essence it is a break-up, simply because the asking party would like some form of insurance. Insurance that if they do not find someone else, there is the same old person to go back to."

That stuck in my head because he was the only person honest enough to come outright and admit what is normally hidden between the lines. Almost everyone else was saying that it was a gentle way of telling the other person "this is the end of the line baby!" but in a manner that is meant not to hurt.

I am of course not writing this to whack men on the head with my slipper. I think it applies to both sexes. I am writing this purely because this situation of I-say-you-think has reached a level that is causing too many people too much grief. Trust me on this: Not only have I done the damage my own liver and lungs bit, I have broken flower pots and Lord knows what else over the years.

It is all very easy to say I don't want to rock this boat of bliss when you know more than 50% chance of the fact that this boat is going to dock in some public harbour and not a private lot, what more lead to a wonderful house by the sea. And honestly, if you allowed yourself to not speak up at the appropriate time, you really have lost all rights to moan about it afterward.

So the moral of today's posting is this: if in doubt - ASK. If unsure - ASK. If you don't like the answer, walk away.

That way, no one can say you were played for the fool.

No comments: