Saturday, March 28, 2009

Experience Used

We have just observed Earth Hour 2009 in our lil box in the sky.

It started with all of us going around the house, putting off power switches and light. Then it was sitting down to the dinner table to light the candles (yes - I went all the way!)

I had readied some crafts for the kids to do and they now each have an Earth Wreath - made from a cereal box and bits of wrapping paper I had lying around the house - 1st lesson of recycling. The Earth Wreath is an excellent tool to teach kids about 1) Recycle and 2) The Ozone.

Once we had that done, I started on my ice cube experiment - 1 in my astray and another in a glass. The astray being used as an example of a damaged ozone and its impact on climate change. And yes - the exposed ice cube melted at twice the speed of the one encased in the glass.

My kids surprised me tho with their ability to understand and commit to memory. Luke especially as he closed his video session of the whole experience ~ a stern reminder to put off all your lights especially when you go to sleep. And Lydia - in her typical show-princess fashion had to do a redition of "I've got the whole world in my hands."

I'm pretty pleased with myself right now cos I think I've done a whole load of good with these two youngsters than their school had in helping them understand the concept of Earth Hour and the purpose of environmental protection.

I had wanted to take them to places like Dataran Merdeka or even KLCC to observe these places with the lights off. But when I heard of how more electricity was being expanded in THIS hour of conservation reminder (they were having open air concerts for crying out loud!!!) - I said screw it and embarked on this project.

It might have taken some work on my part - but hey, isn't that we parents are suppose to do? And it's really not rocket science re. teaching kids and for that I'm grateful to my experience of 5 years in the school, which I am now using with my kids.

Videos will follow next week once I get them uploaded!

No comments: