Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wanderlust

"I dare not leave and proceed to do the things that I have always want to do...  I've always wanted to backpack & see the world...Are you sure I can go away for a few months and come back?"

These were the thoughts of my staff on her Facebook in the last couple of days. We have not spoken about it in-depth cos I've been on leave. But gathering from it, I reckon some of her friends have made that decision to up-and-at-em, and the feeling of "How I wish I could join them" has been on her mind.

We have all heard many sayings and quotes about how to strike while the iron is hot. My fave todate is this: In life, the moment of absolute certainty does not exist. And that is the message I am trying to impart to my colleague who has become some sort of a friend as well.

It is a daunting decision to make ~ putting what we know as LIFE aside to pursue another aspect of it. What would we do for money? Can we survive the ardous demands of backpacking travel? What if crisis arise at home while we're away? And can we successfully resume life again, after we release the pause-button?

As her boss, knowing that she is entertaining this thought weighs heavy on my mind. Afterall, she is the main artery of the office. Can we manage without her? And if we do, can she fit back in once her wanderlust has run out? And I guess it is the latter that concerns me...  Where do I draw the line as her future employer and as her friend on this note, especially when economic viability comes into play?

I have taken a long time to come to accept that different folks have different strokes. That while I may have my own ambitions and goals that I want to reach, I may not be able to take my team with me cos it's just not in them to reach for the same stars. And she is one of them. She will try her damnest cos it is in her supportive nature. But jet-setter, high-flyer, go-getter she is not. 

So yes, I have given her my encouragement for her to seriously consider taking up this option of doing what she wants, and yes, I will hold the door open for her. Simply cos  I have taught her all I can, the rest is really up to her, if she wants to be a part of the A-Team that I am trying to build.

And I am hoping that by seeing the world, she will learn the lessons that one cannot learn inside of an office and organisation structure. Perhaps this is the adventure she needs, to grow and rise to the place that by tenure and seniority, would be rightfully hers when the time comes.

No comments: