Tuesday, April 1, 2008

2 years on...

One fine night, about 2 years ago, I wrote about finding some old friends of mine whom I have lost absolute contact with. Excerpts from it are in italics...

Sad.. sad.. sad.. not the heart broken, stuff my heart thru a sugar-cane press type.. but just a melancholic gloom that looms cos you know that somewhere out there, under the big blue sky.. is someone you were once so close with.. and yet, tonight, you don't even know if you're still breathing the same air.

I spoke to the one missing longest today. I got hold of his number yesterday and well, I didn't have the guts to call. Yeah - lil chicken shite that I am. So I dropped a text instead. And I got a call back today.

I do sit and think about these friends lost.. randy and kwan seng.. wondering what they have done with their lives (they were both great bummers in the time i knew them).. and if they have gone on to make the successes of themselves as was the parents' dreams. I wonder if we walked past each other on the street.. would we stop, turn and stare in shock? And would we resume the great friendship we once shared during days when it was alright to have a guy as your best friend and they were my best pals..

It wasn't that long a call. And apparently, he's back in the country. It's just surreal to hear a voice that I can still hear in my head, ten-years on; to actually hear it in person, on the telephone. Wow is all I can say.

This year (2006), i don't ask for many friendship miracles.. afterall, last year i found my rin-tin-tin man - Kong!.. another friend found this year would be great... either one of the 2, i don't mind.. just to see the familiar smile and hear the familiar voice would do me fine.

And while I have ranted slightly that it was nothing but awkward silences, I suppose given time and the effort to keep in touch, now that the number's there - maybe the silences would go away... And in this time of utter chaos and turbulence, I cannot help but wonder if the closing thought then, still hold true :

Maybe finding you is my way of finding me again.

Whatever it turns out to be - it's still an amazing feeling to know that we've reconnected. My once best buddy and I...

No comments: