Tuesday, January 1, 2008

16 past midnight

The clock has turned and the calendar's changed.

It's a brand new year and the crowds are whoopee-ing away outside as the skies light up with the pyro show that's going on. Lydia is bouncing up and down in awe of the fireworks and Luke's too tired to even stir.

I could be out there, among the crowds, half way out of the land of sobriety with my Swiss colleague, his girlfriend and a bunch of people I don't really know. But instead, I chose to stay in, have a quiet pizza dinner with my folks and kids. And I am glad of this conscious decision.

For as the Bear rightfully said earlier - the year starts with the family. And I have not been doing enough of that lately.

As I hugged Lydia close, I found my eyes tearing up, hardly daring to believe that this gorgeous creature in my arms is half of me. And indeed - there was no better way to usher this year in - a year with many big milestones to mark.

While many things may seem like it was only yesterday, I know that I cannot wait to leave yesterday behind and stride into tomorrow. For tomorrow is them - Lydia and Luke.

And at 16 minutes past midnight, tomorrow looks awesomely bright already!

Happy New Year... may you be as blessed as I am!


No comments: