Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Pair of Shoes

It's been a crazy morning! I think in the entire time I have been with the company, we have never fielded so many phone enquiries in one morning. As the day wears on, of course, the sound of silence reigns yet again.

But it's not the quantum of activity that has picked up today that weighs on my mind. Rather, it is the image of a pair of shoes that belonged to the courier guy who stood next to me in the lift as I skipped out for a fag-break.

It's the Yuletide season - a season of giving and sharing. And with all year-ends, the season of out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new. I should know - I did a Sunday marathon of shopping myself, albeit a finely budgeted one.

And yet, there stood this man, with his big toe sticking out from the right-hand corner of his left loafer. Discretely scanning the rest of the shoes, it was seriously in danger of falling apart mid-stride.

I can't really say why this is in my head, especially as it sits alongside the text I got this morning that said "Breakfast is served to me on the beach!"

All I know is this: if I had no care in this world, no worries of my own, I would have loved to take the man by the hand and bring him to the nearest shoe shop and gotten him a pair of shoe, even without knowing his name.

But alas, I am not without the above. And as evil as it sounds, that pair of shoes makes me feel grateful for 1) having both feet and 2) a decent level of living that enables me to have a proper pair of shoes.

No comments: