Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Spirit of the Season

What is Christmas to you?

Is it the load of presents that await your eager fingers to rip them open? Or the boozing and the chow that lay warm and aromatic on the table? Could it be the fancy new dress or shirt that brings out the snazzle in you? Or the presence of loved ones from far and near surrounding you?

I started the day, bright and early with a conversation first with my best buddy, and then with my folks and my kids. It’s a long, long day ahead. Gotta run out for some fortifying chow, and get some errands done. Then it’s the great loading of the car for the 1st run to the new home.

Yes – and it’s Christmas Eve. And I’m trying to put the thought that my brother and his family, along with all my cousins in Singapore, are packing up their cars same like me – except that they are going home.

I left the office, somewhat drained and strained yesterday. So I did what I could do – go home, to my 2nd home: the hospital / restaurant. Sat and had coffee with my ex-boss, surrounded by familiar faces, voices and smiles.

I think for the first time in my life, I am truly embracing the spirit of the season: the spirit of HOPE. For while I could empty the bottle of vodka, bury my head in the cushion and wait for the next couple of days to pass me by, I will not. For I must keep my sanity and wits about me. Get the home ready, so that when everyone is home and near me once again, it would be in this new place.

It is a big deal. My 7th move in 8 years. Not so much because it is the 7th – but rather, it is the 1st time I have consciously chosen where my head will lie at the end of the day. And while it is not said very much, I know my folks feel the same sense of elation: as if I have walked this long, long journey and have finally reached a resting point.

As it was said by someone: It’s about time baby. New place – new experiences awaits!

So while it would be lovely to be surrounded by laughter and merriment, I have found my peace in the solidarity and silence of the night.

Have a blessed Christmas y’all.

 

 

No comments: