Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Chances are

chance ~ noun

  • The unknown and unpredictable element in happenings that seems to have no assignable cause.
  • The likelihood of something happening; possibility or probability.
  • An accidental or unpredictable event.
  • A favorable set of circumstances; an opportunity.
  • A risk or hazard; a gamble.
I am known in my circle of friends and work associates to be one that often does not favour taking chances. A financial way of phrasing it would be to say I am extremely risk-adverse. And it is not contained purely to the professional environment, but also extends to my personal life.

To take a step forward would entail many nights to endless discussions with myself, and many conversations with the moon. Often than naught, I would find myself back at square one; where things are black and white to me, and sometimes, me alone.

On my drive home today, I sat in the heat and traffic and thought about how I have not yet to do anything about my Grand Plan of building my own bed & breakfast (B&B). In less than 2 months, I will be turning 32 - that's a total of 11 years of talk, and nothing to show for.

When I interviewed for my present job, my answer to the question Where do you see yourself 5 years from now, I had boldly stated the coming true of my Grand Plan. Yet, I have not done anything about it. Not even commit my thoughts to paper. Maybe it's not so much the business risk that I fear ~ I believe in a couple of years to come, I would be more than ready to commit to a project of such proportions. But the truth is, I'm afraid to take the chance risk of actually being a position to fail myself and my dream.

Likewise, the highlight of my day today was a 30-second slash-and-dash encounter. Why it was not more, one can only hazard a guess that maybe work commitments had beckoned. But the truth is, while it was something to look forward to (I actually wore my good suit!), it was also me negotiating around the risk of seeing a bright smile light up as I cross the foyer of the center, and tomorrow or the day after not being the same cos of this 30-seconds.

Napoleon Bonaparte once said ~ The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny.

I can talk until the cows come home but if I do not change my stand on life and face up to my fears by putting it for the rest of the world to read, except for those whose opinions matter ~ I will almost always err on the side of caution.

At the end of the day, the words of Walter Anderson rings nothing but truth:

Our lives improve only when we take chances - and
The first and most difficult risk we can take is
to be honest with ourselves.





No comments: