Saturday, July 21, 2007

Life's simple pleasure

Sometimes, our brain chooses to store up certain tastes, smells, emotions, etc for no particular reason or rhyme. And it's one of those things that you can recall with crystal clarity anytime you want.

One of such things for me is the taste of peppermint cake, which I had once, when I was 10 years old. It was light, airy and cool. Not too sweet and not too minty. I remember feeling like Oliver Twist, wanting to go up to the hostess and ask, "Please Mam, may I have some more?" but didn't cos I was sure to be frowned on by my gramps.

And over the course of 22 years, I have lingered at cakeshop windows, hoping that one of them have gotten adventurous and started to make this delight. But, I have yet to be surprised.

Until yesterday ~ a box with a red ribbon, arrived bearing a big butter cake with peppermint sherina icing on it.

Right up till now, the morning after, I still feel like I've died and gone to Mint Heaven.

For both the cake and the thought of it.

No comments: