Saturday, July 21, 2007

Churning ID10Ts

It doesn't take a lot to convert potentially smart individuals into pure, thoroughbred idiots these days.

Just take them, stuff them into a room that's lined with pew after pew of tables and chairs, make them write as some older person spews out lines of text from a book.

Keep doing this for about 11 years without asking these individuals for any form of financial commitment. And throw in another 4 for good measure. Once again, without any form of financial commitment from these individuals.

At the end of the road, throw a big conferment event where you deposit into their open palms a scroll with a wax seal, and there you have it folks: A brand new bunch of IDiots with their license to ruin the rest of your life.

I know it's probably an extremely unfair generalitsation of the Malaysian education system. But I have good reason for this rant, so hear me out.

I am still in the process of interviewing candidates for various positions without my charge at work. A couple of days ago, some CVs that I am reviewing for interview shortlist, had some questions that I wanted to clarify. Being the do-er that I am, I picked up the phone and rung. Out of the 3 calls I made, I only managed to speak to 1 in person and left 2 voicemails. 1 rung back by the end of the day. The other rung me this morning. 10 times. From 1.03 am to 1.25 am.

Not only could she not speak English well, she had utterly no common sense as well. I mean, if I didn't pick up the first time, leave a message and I'll ring back. NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! She had to keep ringing until I picked up.

To think said-person holds a Bachelor of Science in Food Technology, with a CGPA of 3.40 out of 4.0!

So yes, with my sleep disrupted this morning, can you seriously blame me if I think our education system, base and tertiary, has failed the rest of us?!

What good is education when it's only book-learning? What good is education when it's a one-way knowledge transfer? What good is education when a graduate cannot tell the wrongness of ringing a potential employer at 1 in the morning?

Education should be about teaching one to develop a sense of thought. For what use is education when it's only meant to create a nation of paper-holders without any form of rationale and logic? And yes, the government should start charging so that they could employ decent people who understands the meaning of education.

It just ain't right I tell ya.

Someone should stand in front of the entryway to Putraja with a card saying - Save the Trees! Stop Mass Education!

As for the girl - the first words she said when I answered was "Good Night". Yes- good night for sure! I had no choice but to be brutally honest by telling her that I had rung 48 hours before in consideration for a job, but as such she is no longer considered for an interview.

She's darn luck I was only in mid-dream and not in mid-shag.

It.Could.Have.Been.Very.Bloody.

No comments: