Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Great Mis-adventure

A few weeks ago, at a pub outing with 2 of my colleagues, one of them said something really profound that has stuck in my head. And it goes like this ~ Do whatever you feel like doing. Go out, have fun! And when you lest expect it, you’ll find what you’re looking for. I’ve been listening to this 25 year old’s words of wisdom (never thought I would say that of him) cos there is a whole lot of truth in it.

In the past, I have watched my friends who have someone and envied them – turning seven shades of green. But as my wise-boy said that same night itself – Do you think they are really happy? They may look happy and seem happy, but do you think they are really happy? And that is another truth cos we’ve all done the same before – With a coffee in hand, and a smile to go. Who’s to say that they aren’t faking it?!

And so, it has been quite a bit of an adventure off-late ,though each outing leaves me even more tired than energized. I mean – dating is supposed to be fun. Fun to the point that one of my colleagues who is attached declared today that he should start dating again cos he feels that he’s missing out on the fun that we, the singletons, seem to have!

Needless to say, I told him “boy who has gorgeous girlfriend, sit down under the table and partake not in this conversation!” Cos regardless of “it being all in the name of fun”, there are some lines that we should not cross. And throwing away what you have right now, without giving it a right and proper go, is just shite action.

Someone asked me the other day – "how do you draw the line?!" While I may have laughed it off by saying that it’s simply done with a swirl of the wrist – it is not so. And as the misadventures go – I find that it is not that simple to most people. And it irks and disgusts me to the extreme!

But as the saying goes from Private Practice (my latest addiction!) – Dating is a numbers game. You’ve gotta go out and hit the numbers. And somewhere in there, you might just hit the one that makes you smile.

But having said that – I think what I’ve learnt best the last few weeks would be this – sure it’s a numbers game. But if you’re not ready to take on the masses, you’re just not ready.

And yes – for once, I understand the term “Not ready”. I have come to appreciate my freedom, my time, my quiet. I have come to appreciate being alone with my head and I have come to appreciate even more, the conversations I have with my close friends. And though it would be great to have a special someone - I have come to appreciate that it should not be anyone who comes my way.

*Yippee* I’m not flying blind anymore. And so – my sanity is not at risk.

No comments: