Saturday, December 1, 2007

My Red Ribbon Way

It’s a Saturday night. Yet another weekend with Lydia and Luke away.

In a span of 48 hours, with the kids being away a common knowledge, I have had the following invites to spend my Saturday night as a single person:

  • Watch a movie on a 42” plasma, lying on a suede recliner sofa and sipping Jack Daniels with Cola
  • Welcome a visitor into my home, whom I have never met and only chatted idly for 10 minutes at most
  • Come out and “play”

While most people would go “Wow” at the list of invites that I have gotten above, I don’t think they are aware of today being World AIDS Day. As such, I think the following facts wouldn’t have even been something they stop to read before heading out to party:

  • Around 33.2 million people are living with HIV
  • Each year around 2.5 million more people become infected with HIV and 2.1 million die of AIDS
  • The number of people in Eastern Europe and Central Asia living with HIV increased 150% between 2001 and 2007
  • The most common occurrence of HIV infections are transmitted through sex between men and women
  • Nearly half of all adults living with HIV are female
  • Many Western countries, such as the UK, have increasing rates of HIV transmission through heterosexual sex ~ In America, where more than a million people are living with HIV, heterosexual sex accounts for one third of new diagnoses.
  • Of the 2.1 million people who died of AIDS during 2007, more than one in seven were children.
  • Every hour, around forty children die as a result of AIDS

And it’s sad that these facts do not mean jack to a lot of people in this world, when it should. The reason of “My eyes glaze over when I see numbers” should not and cannot apply in this instance, as people recklessly and foolishly live for the moment, possibly foregoing their tomorrow.

A few months ago, in presenting my Outlets Marketing Plan, I had wanted my outlets to join in and commemorate today with my staff wearing the Red Ribbon, and setting aside an amount of today’s proceeds towards a facility that takes care of people dying of AIDS in Malaysia. I had wanted to give out information flyers and talk to our patrons of the importance of “living for tomorrow”.

But my plan was not passed. And sadly, business went on as usual in the hospital that I worked in. It was not something I had expected cos we’re in the healthcare business. We should do prevention, nor cure. Cos when it comes to HIV and AIDS, there is no cure, currently.

I am not out tonight. Instead, I am staying in with my phone shut off, a good book in hand and soul music playing on my stereo. It is my way of commemorating today, and remembering those who lost their lives because of one moment’s folly.

I wish I have a red ribbon today which I could pin on. The visual symbol to demonstrate compassion for people living with AIDS and their caregivers. The color red was chosen for its "connection to blood and the idea of passion ~ not only anger, but love, like a valentine."

While I am aware that sex is only one of the many means of transmitting the disease, it is the foremost thing on my mind tonight cos of the way we are today and our outlook on “seizing the day and landing the lay.”

Sure, I am just like you and every other person on the street. But by putting my thoughts down and standing my ground tonight (and most other nights in fact), I know I am gonna be one less person from that statistics that seem to be going thru the roof.

We all have a choice. And as with any decision-making model, let’s always think it thru nicely and wisely before coming to a decision that could potentially change our lives, and the lives of those we love forever.

Let not the Vodka, nor the beer be the tipping point of our lives.
Let not the weed, nor the coke be the killer of our hope.
Eat, drink, be my guest at being merry
So long as you support the Malaysian rubber industry
Or contribute some blood and money towards the testing industry
Live, love, shag for all I care


Support World AIDS Day

And if you really cannot keep to the above, then stay home, lock the doors, shut off the online chat, stash your phone away and get a very expansive showerhead or blow-up doll.

No comments: