Saturday, May 31, 2008

There to Here

It’s Saturday. The day's work is done. I just had my dinner. I even did my laundry of the week and gave Benny-Blue a wash. It looked like it was gonna pour but the load did get some some sunlight. And it didn’t pour, which is good. There is nothing I hate more than the stale smell of half-dried laundry. And Benny-blue would then have to be washed again, and I hate doing that cos it's big and heavy.

An old friend rung this afternoon. I’m still getting used to seeing his name pop up on caller-ID. I have not seen him in .. oh ... a mere 12 years and he's now in town. We've made arrangements for breakfast tomorrow, which is great. I'm waiting for that whole excitement of "Whoopie-doo!" to kick in.. It hasn't.

I have a bit of mise-en-place to do... mash up some garlic, melt down some onions ~ that sort of stuff. I am wondering if it can wait till Monday after work seeing how I'd be done by half 3 and so plenty of time to get some food ready. Yes, I think I should leave it till then - it'll give me something to do other than watch telly.

I am pondering on the wisdom of lodging this post. I am becoming self-conscious once again, wondering what people will think or say when they know what’s going on in my head. Someone’s put a cramp on my style yet again and I do not like it. And because I do not like it, and it’s not the ME that I want to be… here this goes…

It’s not any ordinary Saturday. But then again, looking at it now, it is a mere Saturday – the last in May. But this post is not about Saturdays (cos Monday's the only day of the week we'd ever talk about here)... it's about jewelry.. or accessories as one calls them.

I wear only one piece of jewelry on me. It’s a bracelet that I’ve worn for a year to the T. I’ve only ever taken it off once, in a fit of fury and threw it somewhere in the house, only to hunt high and low for it a week later. It’s not something expensive, nor is it flashy. In fact, it’s very sedate and very possibly just the thing I would have chosen for myself, if I were one to have accessories.

Never really said this out loud to anyone, though I was asked some time back… But this piece of silver reminds me that I am worth the time and trouble, at the best of times. Call me a sentimental schmuck. Or so lacking in self-faith that I need adornments as reminders of the diamond that I can be.

Time flies. Things change. I’ve gone from ‘there’ to ‘here’ and I am wondering how that happens. How people move across time, days, minutes, seconds and wind up where they are.

But more than wondering, I am certain of one thing ~ ‘forever’ and ‘always’ is a concept of time, space and perspective that shifts from one end of the scale to another. What exists today will not exist in the same quantum tomorrow, the day after, six months down the line.

A year from now... I might be thinking the same thing - How did I get from there to here?!


No comments: