Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Feats

It’s Friday already and this week has been a great week.

Had a fantastic dinner outing with old friends last night, despite me being smugly sitting in front of the wrong hotel for 10 minutes and subsequently getting lost (again!) in pursuit of the right hotel.

There’s something about being around familiar people – makes you realize how much times have changed and how much you have changed. I don’t think we had that much fun when we were 16 as we do these days. Thoughts are more coherent, opinions more pointed – the elements of good conversation and a great laugh or two or three even!

hap·py ~ adjective

  1. Delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing
  2. Characterized by or indicative of pleasure, contentment, or joy
  3. Favored by fortune; fortunate or lucky
  4. Apt or felicitous, as actions, utterances, or ideas.

I was asked (or rather interrogated) on the above subject matter. Then I had to defend to death my justification for my answer. Which is kinda ridiculous cos “happy” is an emotion – something has to happen for you to feel happy. And thus, being with old friends – the planning, the looking forward and the event itself – of course I was happy. And the thing with “happy” is this – you can never get enough of it. One could be happy now, and happier still IF …

We don't say “when” because there's something
About the possibility, of “more”.
More tequila, more love, more anything.
More is better.

This was where the question then switched to if I was contented. And again I had to defend my answer to death.

Now, don’t get me wrong – I love these 2 people to bits, and as they rightfully said – they only have my best interests at heart. They would be the only people who would sit and ponder as to why the great Barbsie cave-in took place only 3 years delayed. And I am grateful for reconnecting with them once again.

But in the last month, I’ve come to realize that life does not revolve around one activity (work!) or one person (let’s not mention names). As a wise man said on his recent blog ~ it is about being close enough to touch but far enough to grow. And so, I should not let any of these single factors determine if I am contented or not.

It is a package thing – the sum of pleasure I derive from all my activities, and the presence of all the people in my life. Hence, don’t find it so hard to believe that I am contented as well as happy.

Maybe being grateful means
Recognizing what you have
For what it is.

And so, it’s been a great week not only cos of Monday, but cos of all the good people and good things that has taken place this week – Including dinner with the both of them at Ah Ping’s!

No comments: