Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wait

wait ~ verb

  1. To remain inactive or in a state of repose, as until something expected happens
  2. To be available or in readiness
  3. To look forward to eagerly

The sun is setting and I have had THE MOST enjoyable day off. I cannot for the life of me recall another day off that I had in years that was as good as today. Yes, took the day off cos if I didn’t, I’d be saddled with a whole load to clear when the time comes - 22 1/2 days to be precise. And mind you, vacation days are a concept that is new to me – the same person who goes back to work even though she’s on break, so I had better get a head start with a day off here and there.

Gave my house a nice, thorough clean – not an inch was left unturned, undusted and unmopped! It was long overdue seeing how Lydia’s dust allergy is getting worse by the day, and my own as well. So between putting aside some physical work and an hour or two of my time versus an escalating doctor’s bill – there was only wise choice to be made.

Chilled out with Pups this morning over a leisurely brunch at the neighbourhood Starbucks. It was good to catch up with him. Got to say a texted Hi to Nat, learnt what a reel and sausage was in a diver’s term (apparently there’s a bagel in there somewhere too!) and got me self a new cuddly friend in the form of a beady-eyed turtle, who will stare at me from the top of my bed, as a birthday present.

Had a surprise today though. As when I say surprise – I really mean surprise. Just spent the afternoon with Monday who played hooky when he heard I was on leave. I guess after 3 weeks of not seeing him, I was kinda expecting him to cash in on yet another rain-check this evening, particularly when he had a con-call at 7. So for him to walk out of the office and come hang out with me – it’s well and truly a surprise.

Author’s note:
I know a number of ya would be shaking your heads going “It’s about bloody time!” but hey – let’s not judge kays? Like I’ve said before – give people the opportunity to surprise you, and they might just take your breath away. And frankly, I don't think I've been big on the giving side - of opportunities, that is.

I’m also mighty pleased to note that pressie was a hit – a BIG HIT! I don’t think there’s another superhero out there today who is more pleased and surprised with my selection. So all that mall-cruising for the darn shop, the foul-up of the alteration shop and the 2 weeks of not looking under my table cloth – well worth it! Good thing too that I thought ahead of where said t-shirt is gonna be end up used for and had the sleeves taken off - it's precise what's gonna be done.

As Monday trots off to save the world, one investor at a time and Barbsie floats back down to earth, I cannot help but think about last night ~ when I sat down before turning in, thinking about what Buds said and jotted down in all honesty what I was suppose to think about.

Some things and some people are worth the wait. Today is a fine example of them. If I had caved and followed through with any one of my broken behaviors like I used to, today wouldn’t be the great day that it is. I have gone 3 weeks without a drop of alcohol consumed in the house (really big achievement there!) and not done a thing that would cause me to wanna systematically break things in angst. I sat, I did my own thing in the meantime and I have today to account for it.

So as I say goodnight, be glad to know that Barbsie is all good… … very happy… and at peace.

No comments: