Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Join Me?

I was wondering what I wanted to do for my birthday this year. And I wanted it to be something special, meaningful cos I truly feel very blessed in so many ways.

It's been a long while since I threw a birthday bash for myself - the last being 31 at Ivy's (and yes, Sen says there are pictures of it floating somewhere in someone's phone still). But I was thinking - do I really wanna grab a bunch of people and get everyone wasted on booze?

And so as I was driving in to work this morning, thinking about a conversation Monday and I had yesterday about 1) Second Harvest, 2) Corporate Social Responsibility and 3) my B&B plans moving ahead, it struck me that I didn't have to wait till item (3) to materialise before I do (1) via (2).

I'm not a wealthy person, in terms of possession and bank balances. But I believe I am wealthy in other areas. And so, this year, as I turn 33, I plan to share the special day with people that I don't know. The nameless, the faceless, the homeless.

I would like to prepare x-number of meals and drop them off to the streets where it would fill the tummies of a stranger for at least a few hours. It doesn't matter what their backgrounds are - drug addicts, beggars, mentally-ill, etc. They may have opportunities to come into contact with some form of money that could tie them thru the day but be mis-using them - that's not my business.

It may be a one-off (for now) but I believe - all we need is that ONE touch, ONE exchange. I might not change the course of their lives after that, but I'd like to think that I would have made their day somehow for a brief spell.

I haven't quite figured out the logistics of how I want to achieve this yet. Gotta think it over a bit more, talk to a few people and see if they are willing to come on board with me. But here's my invite to my birthday bash this year - my kitchen, my house. There would likely be some chatter, lots of laugh, a bit of chow and a how lot of goodwill being packed up and delivered.

Lemme know if you're joining me in on this.

No comments: