Tuesday, November 4, 2008

According to Nikki

I heard on my way home on the radio that the secret to a long-lasting relationship is to not go more than 7 days from not seeing one another. This is apparently the golden key according to Nicole Kidman.

It's funny that she would cite this. Why 7? Why not 3? or 4, for that matter? With technology being so rampant these days, I'm sure there are ways where one can cross this time-bound-factor, eh?

I got out of church this evening to a text message awaiting me. And it was not in manner or tone that pleased me at all. No sir. Not one bit. For starters, it started with "Please don't be angry with me" which in any communication class, you'd be taught, is not the way to start a conversation. Add to it, it had not one but TWO "So sorry" thrown in. AND THAT was not what I wanted at all.

I remember how I used to rail into the Bear when I do not hear of him catching up with the name-sake for a while. Or when I hear of him being home on weekends, instead of being out with her. On hindsight, it was pretty wrong of me to have done so, cos as the saying goes ~ Different strokes for different folks. And Bear belongs to a different kettle of fish altogether.

It's taken me a long, long time to get to this level of understanding. And it's a place that I am quite happy to be in ~ despite all the fears that my friends have about me not being happy, and me stubbing my own toe. It just goes to show that these sort of strokes do not form the majority. And perhaps, the majority are the people who cannot stand being apart, and a minute into Day 8 would see them pulling their hair out, going crazy / grumpy / psychotic, etc. And from the looks of my messaged received, I was deemed to be one of them. Go Figure!

Now I won't say that I have not been one of them. But I would like to think that I have grown out of that dizzying, looking at the world thru rose-coloured glasses phase of life. And it's not to say that I have lost the zeal to be one half of two. It's just plain simple acknowledging that life is such, and sometimes the effort is not worth the strife.

This is not a superficial act of adding on more dust bunnies. But truly, having been there, done all that and using the t-shirt as a rag cloth now: I would rather have all of him (mind, body and soul) than to have just half of him. And honestly, the pressure of having to "make it somewhere, despite needing to be doing something else" is going to crack even the toughest, most got-it-together egg someday. Last but not least, I like a strong sense of responsibility in a chappie, especially when it comes to work. Anything less than that - he'll fall into the losers-and-wankers category in my books.

Anyways, to each their own. Maybe there is some truth to what Ms Kidman thinks. Maybe it might well and truly be the secret weapon to curbing the rising divorce rates and short-lived relationships.

But then agan, so long as I know what works for me, I'm quite happy with my kettle of fish. It is, afterall, getting me more hugs and smoochies :o) So let's all be happy and not complain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and i just read that you need 30 days to develop a habit... :)