Saturday, November 22, 2008

All About Shoes

I went out tonight. With a guy friend and 3 of his friends. To sit and watch them play pool in a fancy joint as I sipped my Diet Coke.

During the course of the night, 2 of the chappies had a conversation in Cantonese, wondering where the "chics" were. One of them pointed to me in the corner, and the other replied "She doesn't count." At this point, I couldn't help myself but burst out laughing and asking in English, "Pray tell why I am discounted."

Apparently according to my friend, if I had on a skirt and a pair of sling backs, I would definitely have qualified. And the funny thing was - as I got dressed in my torned jeans, and a simple top, I made a conscious choice to put on my Crocs (with its Leprechaun, Mickey Mouse Hand and Brother Bear Paw jibbetz) instead of my heels.

I have been pondering on a lot of things today. And had a long honest chat with one of my old friends by phone. And as I brushed my teeth just, I looked at myself in the mirror and the face looking back at me - it wasn't all too bad, afterall.

I think I am finally at that point in life where I don't need to put on a short skirt, a slinky top and a come-hither pair of heels to have a good time out. As the night wound down and we downed out 'teh tariks', these guys were my friends, and that's all well and good by me. This doesn't mean that I would allow myself to degenerate to the point of being an 'Ah Soh'. But at the end of the day, I am who I am, and it really shouldn't matter very much what I had on the 1st time or everytime you see me.

So while it may be all about them shoes - this girl is saying "I'll put on them shoes when I feel like putting on them shoes."

No comments: