Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Job Hunting

I just have to rant about this issue. After 10 days of interviewing people, I am drained. Drained and frustrated.

I'm in the process of hiring my crew for the hospital's F&B outlets. This would range from the chefs to the waiters and waitresses. So far, we're on position #4 and some 50 candidates in, the urge to throttle their throats are getting very hard to keep at bay.

For those who know me, you would realise by now that I'm the scary one among the panel of interviewers. I mean, technically, my boss would be the one to fire all the function-related questions. The HR rep (who I occassionally want to throttle as well) would be all the HR related items. Which leaves me in the middle. The devil's advocate.

Here are some of the things I have had to asked:

Case study # 1:
Barb: You've asked for RM 12,000 as a pastry chef.
Candidate: Yes, this is the market rate.
Barb: Yes, it is ~ for an expatriate chef.
Candidate: Yes.
Barb: Could you remind me your nationality again please?
Candidate: Erm...

Case study # 2:
Barb: You're a culinary lecturer now?
Candidate: Yes.
Barb: What do you do when your class is noisy?
Candidate: I tell them, "Shut Up!" *Big Grin*
Barb: Nothing further to ask.

Case study # 3:
Barb: It says here that you're attached to your current job until 24th April?
Candidate: Yes. I resigned when I sent my application to you.
Barb: Why did you do so?
Candidate: Because I very confident I will get the job*

*This sentence is showned here ad verbatim

Case study # 4:
Barb: You've worked in the Butchery section of a kitchen before?
Candidate: Yes. I very good butcher.
Barb: So do you know how to do a Butcher's Test?
Candidate: Oh. I work in Butchery during training. We learn only. No test.

A butcher's test is when you carve up a strip of meat, remove the fat and such, and calculate the yield you would get from it minus all the trimmings.

Case study # 5:
Barb: As a shift leader, you would have to handle disputes and disciplinary cases. What would you do if one of your staff was caught stealing?
Candidate: I will ask the staff why he did it.
Barb: And ...?
Candidate: If can settle, we settle it among ourself.
Barb: And if it can't be settled?
Candidate: *Big grin* Can one! Everything also can settle one!

I dread to think that I have another 10 days of interviewing to go, plus a round 2 come end of May cos the calibre of candidates were just way below par.

This is an experience where the phrase, "No expectations, only hope" goes out the window.

And you wonder why I go home with migraines each day?!

No comments: