Friday, June 20, 2008

It's Almost Time

I've just been reading all my blog posts labelled "Work". Yes - feeling just that little bit melancholic tonight. Can't really blame me, I have 2 days left to go in my workplace. And I had to say my first rounds of good-byes today already. Add to that, I had to bust two rings of conspiracy to soak, dunk and wash-me-down in butchers' waste, flour and rotten eggs.

It's finally sinking in that I'm leaving.

My new boss told me when I signed my new contract, that the first two months, I'll suffer from a culture shock. She was referring to the hours that she keeps, which is strictly a 9-to-5 timing. But now as I walk towards that direction, it's gonna be a whole lot more than just the hands on the face of a clock.

Someone once remarked to me, that as we grow older, we don't really have friends. We end up having colleagues who become our friends. And sometimes, if we're really lucky, they also become our second families. And that's what I feel as though I'm leaving behind.

I started out there, when both the hospital and my employing company were just lil growing buds. We now do not have sufficient space in our HQ and my outlets have more people coming from the outside to eat, than internal staff itself.

It has been a rough and rocky ride. And everyone says moving on is the best thing for me. I do not disagree with it. Yet as I sat at both Tarik Cafe and Galleria this afternoon, taking it all in.. for a moment, I cannot help but think - Is it?

I don't have very much left to do in the next few days. I plan to surrender my notebook on Monday evening. Gotta have my group pictures taken Monday as well cos some of my boys won't be around Tuesday.I also plan to go round the many departments and wish everyone well and say "Thank You."

There's also the standing arrangement with the whole department to meet on Tuesday evening at 4.45 pm at the Receiving Bay in some really old clothes and my flip flops, ready to be pelted with rotten eggs, and washed down with butcher's waste.

Gotta show my replacement around the place and do some handover, but all my babies have been adopted and passed over. And it was hard - hard to hand over things that I built with my sheer grit and determination, to someone else to look after.

I think I shall do all that on Monday so that Tuesday, I can spend the whole day, sitting in both my outlets once again (and maybe even my former baby The Prinz) and just take it all in again.

I have earned that right. And besides the living and breathing, I have to bid farewell to my three babies which I grew from a blank sheet of paper, into what they are today.

This now belongs to you. Grow it and watch over it with all you have. Do not let me down.

1 comment:

alwyn said...

wow, you're leaving yr job a week earlier than i am... ;>)