Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Planning.. Strategically?

God works in mysterious ways they say... I say - He sure does! I mean.. how else can I rationalise waking up at 4 am and instead of doing my usual (sitting on the balcony and talking to the moon), I ended up fying bacon and eggs, and finishing my book (Oh Stephen Clark! Must read! Merde indeed... or Actually!!!) And mind you - the former, habitual behaviour would have been the sure-bet in this instant... sheep and all that jazz.

Anyways, it's been a weary long day that started at 20 past 6 and ended 1/2 past 5. And, I didn't do any of the things I had listed down to complete today. Instead, I learnt how to do Cashiering and Hostessing, right and proper! A bit late in the day, seeing how it's T-14.

Coming back... yesterday I ranted about letting my boys and girls drown. Drown indeed they did! And not the struggle-struggle-bubble-bubble type of drowning... more of the sinking-straight-to-the-bottom type instead. *Sigh* If only I can stand by and watch - keep it at spectator sport level. Obviously I didn't (and why are you not surprised?!)

I think my boss is also pushing the panic button, rapidly. Cos I've been getting mails about needing this and that done - which just adds on to my objectives for this quarter - like I give a blessed damn! Nonetheless, as my former mentor told me - don't leave things half-baked - it will get done... within the 14 days time-frame.

Among these new items include participating in the department's Strategic Planning exercise, scheduled for Friday and Monday, 3 pm. Oh ~ So.Not.Good. And he has specified that we are go to armed and ready for brainstorming. Translation - come with full tummy, tumbler of coffee and empty bladder. And these 2 sessions will then lead to a working luncheon next Thursday with the Grand Madame and the rest of the department.

Now seriously - why should I spend at least 15 hours of my time, participating in something, creating a master plan, in which I will have no control over its success or failure?! Add on to that, being the Morning Manager on Monday, it would literally mean I'd be doing another 14 hour (at least) day at the office. On.A.Monday. Seriously? Seriously!

I have utter respect for the big Swiss German dude. Despite everything, I do, honestly. But when he sinks to this level - I think I need my head examine. Imean, an SP session is one that is highly confidential and limited to only those privy to high-level information. I am freaking leaving - turning in my season pass, access card and pager type leaving! WTF?!

*Fume* *Fume* *Fume*.... Ponder.... Or is he trying to teach me one final lesson before I go? Milk the cow for what its worth before you lead it to the slaughter house *hmmmm*... Nah, I doubt it. Afterall, with 8 managers to his belt, my presence surely wouldn't be missed, right?

Strategic Planning eh?... Well, Boss - all I've gotta to say is this: Anyone can google and give you the solution to your problems. All you need are the right keywords. Cos if I am going to be made to go spill my brains for 15 hours over 3 sessions, I'm gonna make damn well sure I don't have to reinvent the wheel!

Yeah.. I think I'm gonna tell him that... and conclude it with a wink and a gun-finger and walk off saying "Here's looking at you kid!"

No comments: