Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Time versus...

It's been a dreadfully long day. It's almost midnight and I've just gotten home from work. This.Is.Not.A.Life! Add to that - it was quite irritating that a normal journey home at this hour took twice the time due to cars lining up to tank up.

Yes - our government (whom I firmly believe have gone to the dogs) announced today a reduction in the fuel subsidy, thus increasing petrol prices by MYR 0.78 per litre. I betcha the announcement came in close to knock-off time as that was when nearly all mobile phones in the office went on a rampage of *beeps*

There are pros and cons towards the reduction of the subsidy ~ it might cause people to think twice before buying a bigger, more luxurious car that they can barely afford. It might also cause people to start taking the train to work or car pool. Lord knows our small city has enough of smog ~ according to Monday, it's all plain CO2 out there for us.

The cons would be that it adds to an already increasing level of living in my country. What with the rice shortage and all, a meal out easily knocks MYR 7 off your wallet. I can imagine the conversations that have been, and would be going on about this, and how difficult it's become to make ends meet. Oh and about the country going to the dogs.

While I recognise the fact that this would impact my lifestyle somewhat, I, however did not join the queues of cars that took 20 minutes of my rest time tonight in the delay getting home.

And the reason is quite simply this: I have about another 125 kilometres to go out of my current tank. On average, my lil WiNK mobile does mileage of 450 kilometres out of 30 litres. If I joined the queue, I would have saved about MYR 16.90 for today but it would mean that I'd probably spend 45 minutes waiting in line. Add that to the 20 minutes it's already costed me - you go do the math.

So yeah - being the stubborn arse that I am, I came straight home instead. Cos seriously - an hour of my time, is worth more than MYR 16.90. Afterall, that translates to 2 1/2 packs of my fags. So I'll smoke less that amount this week. I'd probably gain 250 minutes of productivity in that process of smoking less as well.

So there you have it folks. I am not in favour of the country being ran by dogs, but hey! Life - it's all about comparative perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i suspect within a short time, i think many would've gotten over the whole economics issue...we humans are a lot more adaptive than we think, :)

what's interesting is the psychology of the nation/community as a whole, and how unreal traffic jams can be caused over *this*...hmmm

Unknown said...

Aye! Aye! Fully agreed with ya on it - we just have to bitch and whine about it .. oh for about 40% of time this week and it'll be forgotten.

As for traffic jams ~ my final two cents on it would be - the wonderous great lengths our fellow citizens would go to just to milk RM 0.78 / litre out of the government. I think they call it "getting a one-up?" Go figure!