Monday, July 7, 2008

Unexpected Twists of Thoughts

Another weekend has come and gone - time sure does fly cos we're already into Week 2 of July. In a past life, I would be right now pissing in my pants, trying to figure out if I have cleared my Goals and Objectives for last quarter, and racking my brains on what next to focus on for the next 3 months. In a past life.

When the door of happiness closes, another opens,
But often times we look so long at the closed door
That we don’t see the one which has been opened for us

It was a very good weekend tho, despite the fact that at the back of my head, I had the nagging thought of "Oh God! What am I gonna do this week at the office?!"

Went for the Luke's 1st Sports Day. A bit chaotic and poorly organised. Plus it was on the other side of the world (Bukit Jalil) and at the ungodly hour of 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning. Nonetheless, as I watched Luke come out in the general march pass, and his constant searching of the stands for Lydia and I, giving up another 2 hours of sleep was well worth it. Especially when his face lit up upon finding us among the hundreds of faces.

Had a wonderful dinner with Pups and Nat - their treat! There's something to be said about free food - it's always good *lol* But nah.. it wasn't so much the free food but the fact that 3 unrelated adults could come together once in a way, over their mutual bond of 2 rugrats.

Spoke at length with a dear old friend on Saturday evening on the phone. It's amazing how over 30 minutes, gaps of time spanning slightly over a decade closes. It's not really the same but hey - what was once lost, is now somewhat found and we shouldn't really complain about stuff like that, right? I mean, sometimes, somethings once lost, stays lost. It is still somewhat surreal to me tho and I guess I have to shift the cards with his name on them and give it a big update.

Sat with GarlicBoy at the mamak downstairs of his apartment last night for hours, just chatting about this and that - like old times, good times. Before I knew it, it was already past midnight and we trod on home. And there I was yesterday afternoon, wondering what I could do with myself after I sent the kids on back to my folks'. But more importantly, I wouldn't be able to write about this if I hadn't picked up the phone and rung GarlicBoy in the first instance.

The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past,
You can’t go on well in life
Until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

So yeah, this weekend had me stepping out of some of my boundaries which I seemed to have created for myself. Some of them were easy to cross and erase, some - took a lil bit more conscious thought and effort on my part.

And this would include actually having a 3-hour text conversation with Monday, which is 2 hours and 55 minutes longer than I normally do. Plus, it taking place on a non-Monday, to boot! Now, this is a real first from this person who does not call or text unless it is in reply. And if I were in Monday's shoes, I would be scratching my head in puzzlement over this slight turn of behaviour on my part.

Anyways, that week is now officially over as I sit at my desk this Monday morning.

And as I scribble bits of pieces of information for work, I cannot help but recall Pup's reply in recent months when I ask if he is happy. It was never a 'yes' or 'no' answer but instead, he would tell me he was 'contented'. And with this email I got this morning, I guess I know what Pups was saying...

Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want;
Tis the realization of how much you already have.

So in short, I really shouldn't be whinging about how I don't really have anything to do at work, or how I only get 1 day a week cos that would be aiming for "happy". I guess life would be quite alright if I gunned to be contented.

Happy trails now!

No comments: