Monday, September 7, 2009

Darn - It's Just a Box!

I often marvel at the many things in my life that I take for granted. And today, the one thing I shall contemplate upon is this wonderful box, that comes in various sizes, called the television.

Since it exploded on the scene back in the 1930s, the tv or telly as some calls it, has become a must-have in almost every home, with some homes having more than 1 or 1 in every room of the house ~ I should know cos that was what we had when we moved from JB to KL over a decade ago - a telly for the each of the 4 persons living under the same roof.

Over the last month or so, I have been wondering why the picture didn't seem to fit the screen of my LG anymore. For starters, I had the thought that the kids have been fiddling with the remote and zoom settings. Yet, the 'N' in AXN never did seem to wanna be seen no matter how I adjusted the darn thing.

Needless to say, because I went to an all-girls school, we did not have the lesson that all guys seem to have where the mechanics of electrical and mechanical items are explained in detail. So it didn't occur to me that my trusty set of 9 years was on the verge of blinking out of me. And blimey it did with a lil soft *poof* to boot!

So yeah, the goggle box in the house has died and my dilemma is that no one seems to wanna repair it. Sure, I can get a brand new one for about RM 250 more than what I would pay for the repair. But that doesn't mean that I should go do it just because! I did pay over a grand for my 29 incher and hell, no way am I gonna throw it out just like that!

But all said and done, and after one evening alone at home, my conviction and my stubbornness is failing me ~ the sound of the cars from the highway just on the yonder is not going to sustain my sanity.

Try as I might to tell myself I am not missing Monday night lame-o reruns on all the Astro channels, I am missing the ritual of tucking my feet under me and channel surfing while eating my dinner. I am missing the noise of different voices coming from it even though it's outside in the living room while I tap away on the computer. I am missing the silly remarks and witticism that some hosts spew out, giving me legitimate reason to talk to myself or laugh out loud alone.

Darn it that it's just a freaking box! But it sure has left a gapping hole in my day, and no amount of Facebook games or reading is gonna make up for it.

Barbsie without her telly is just making for trouble.

No comments: